While writing my last post I seeked for information about how to include plugins in Jekyll. Jekyll repo wiki describes how easy is to write and hook specific logic to your Jekyll site.
Nonetheless, if you are using Github as hosting to deploy your Jekyll site, you cannot use plugins .
1. Include the gemoji dependency in your Gemfile
2. Add a configuration attribute in the _config.yml file
This folder will contain the emoji icons.
3. Write a rake task into the Rakefile
This rake task copies the icons included in the gemoji gem into your Jekyll site folder. It also generates a CSS file.
4. Execute the rake task
Now you can check the generated CSS file that defines a specific style per emoji icon and the png files (the emoji icons) copied into the configured folder.
5. Include the generated CSS file into HTML layouts
Copy this content into the file _plugins/emoji.rb
7. Emojify your content!
Concat the filter emojify in the layouts where you want to include emojies.
8. Write an emoji in a markdown file and run the server
For instance to include a smile, write
9. Run jekyll